A CD containing nine unheard Michael Jackson songs that are reportedly master recording quality will be on the auction block next week. The winner won't have legal distribution rights though. From Rolling Stone:
The starting bid on the unreleased album is $50,000, though organizers tell Rolling Stone that they expect the final price to go as high as $1 million. Whoever takes home the CD will not own rights to the music, so the winning bidder cannot distribute the recording. According to the auction house, the album was obtained by "the personal friend and personal assistant to Michael whose family was very close to Michael for many years, traveling all over the world with him." When reached for comment, a rep for (auctioneers) Gotta Have Rock and Roll said Jackson's friend wished to remain anonymous.
On YouTube, Gangnam Style's been the most-played video for five years—a little-known testament to the grim reality of popular culture these days. But no longer! It has finally been dethroned, by Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth's See You Again. Moreover, Despacito, embedded above, seems likely to storm past it in due course.
Here's the top 10.
1) Wiz Khalifa, See You Again (ft Charlie Puth) - 2,895,373,709
2) Psy, Gangnam Style - 2,894,426,475
3) Justin Bieber, Sorry - 2,635,572,161
4) Mark Ronson, Uptown Funk (ft Bruno Mars) - 2,550,545,717
5) Luis Fonsi, Despacito (ft Daddy Yankee) - 2,482,502,747
6) Taylor Swift, Shake It Off - 2,248,761,095
7) Enrique Iglesias, Bailando - 2,232,756,228
8) Maroon 5, Sugar - 2,150,365,635
9) Katy Perry, Roar - 2,129,400,973
10) Taylor Swift, Blank Space - 2,101,607,657
In celebration of next year's 50th anniversary of The Beatles: Yellow Submarine film, Titan Comics will publish an authorized comic adaptation of the movie. Bill Morrison, incoming editor for MAD Magazine, is writing and illustrating the comic.